Monday, December 20, 2010

It's the little things

It started out as a typical appointment. I went to see Bro. Antony Miller at St. Barnabas in Pasadena. I came into the very neat and organized church office to find two volunteers stuffing Christmas letters to go out that day. Bro. Antony gave me a tour of this beautiful church, and then we hopped in his car to go to lunch.

That's when it happened.

You know when you see homeless people standing on the side of the road with a sign saying, "please help" -- so many people pass them by. I know I do when I'm driving. If I'm walking, I'll give them the change in my pocket. If I'm driving, I never stop.

Antony stopped.

He knew the homeless person by name. He rolled down his window and gave him a dollar. The man said that someone stole his sleeping bag. I could see the wheels in Antony's brain moving -- that man was going to get a new sleeping bag pronto.

Antony is very involved in homeless ministry in Pasadena. Everything from a new feeding program once per week at the parish to helping out at another church's bible study and feeding program (pizza) in the park every week -- rain or shine. He shared stories with me over lunch about the people he has met. The more he spoke, the more his face shone with God-love. This is a powerful ministry this young man is doing to the glory of God in Pasadena. He is opening the parish one day per week to feed the homeless -- Thursdays. The parish is getting behind this ministry and, I believe, will be energized by it. You can't help but feel energized as Antony talks about this ministry.

I wonder what the Spirit will do next at St. Barnabas. I may have to wander over there one of these Thursdays to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment