Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ship Shape

I wandered over to St. Gabriel's in Monterey Park for the EAM (Episcopal Asian Ministry) Executive Committee meeting. Fr. Lo, the Rector of St. Gabriel's, is gracious and kind to host the group.

I noticed as I drove in the new church sign. "Bishop Bruno is coming, so we wanted everything to look ship shape, so we purchased a new church sign." He was so proud. I had to take a picture of it before I left to go -- well, I went with the EAM Executive Committee and Fr. Lo for a wonderful dim sum lunch in Monterey Park.

As I am getting acquainted with various parishes on my weekly visitations, I'm always amazed at the lengths people go to in order to welcome "the Bishop". I remember as a rector I always had a "spruce Saturday" before a Bishop visitation -- making sure everything was "ship shape" -- and shiny.

What if the same effort was put into EVERY Sunday, so that a visitor -- who is, in my mind, more important than a Bishop walked away saying -- well done! Hmmmm. I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment