Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Through the Evil Days -- by Julia Spencer-Fleming

It started out innocently enough -- as I am a HUGE Julia-Spencer Fleming fan (I've read all the Clare Fergusson/Russ van Alstyne books she has written), I received an email (along with many other fans) announcing this soon-to-be-published new book in the series: Through the Evil Days. I read about the new book, then noticed that there were instructions on how to be selected to receive a free Advanced Readers Copy with the caveat that I would write about the book. No problem -- one of my favorite authors of a series I love? I sent off my email and I never expected to receive an advanced copy to review, but a few days later I received my copy in the mail.

Color me surprised and happy! And here is my review:

Friends -- I was VERY busy the day it came, and decided to just glance at the first two pages. Two hours later, I was still reading. Through a very hectic work schedule, I have stolen moments to continue reading this latest addition to a wonderful series. In the stolen moments I was able to take throughout this week the book was a welcomed break -- I kept wanting to read what was going to happen next. I finished the book this afternoon.

Smart, vivid writing, excellent character development -- all the things I have come to expect from this talented writer, and more. Julia Spencer-Fleming kept me at the edge of my seat on more than one occasion reading this book. I sucked in my breath at one moment yelling, "no -- don't go there." I laughed at another moment. I was thoroughly and completely surprised at the happenings at the end -- all things you want in a good mystery that has not only faith, but a bit of spiciness to it, as well as the continuation of multidimensional characters with human flaws -- including Clare herself, the Rector of an Episcopal Church. If you have been a fan for as long as I have (from the beginning), you'll appreciate the continuation of the human journey all these characters have been on. Julia Spencer-Fleming is that rare writer who can skillfully knit so many characters together so well through all her books. If you are new to her writings, the books in this series are:

In the Bleak Midwinter
A Fountain Filled with Blood
Out of the Deep I Cry
To Darkness and to Death
All Mortal Flesh
I Shall Not Want
One was a Soldier

I commend this book to you wholeheartedly -- it is coming out on November 5th -- pre-order it -- you won't be disappointed!
One thing I want to know -- when will these be made into movies?


No comments:

Post a Comment