Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Last morning in Seoul and then first full day in Rome -- a short double entry!

I'm going to miss room 1552 at the Plaza Hotel. Great view, VERY quiet, and most of all, a great bed. I slept soundly almost all the nights we were here (I never sleep well the night before a trip). 

Got up to our last breakfast -- I had to have the dal to put my flax in (yes, really -- a daily habit here). Dumplings,bulgogi, beautiful fresh bread and cheese, fresh asian pear -- and cappuchino. Yes, I'm going to miss the breakfast here!

We came downstairs at 9:15 to find the Archbishop and many of the clergy waiting to say goodbye to us. It was a slightly sad moment -- I love these friends so much!

The Shins and the Bruce's made it to the airport, on the plane and to Rome with no problem! The 13 hour flight for me, at least, went fast -- writing, watching movies, and closing my eyes for just a little bit. 

Rome was warm and beautiful when we arrived. A quick check in and a 9:00 dinner reservation was on the menu for the evening. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner, and headed quickly to bed.

I woke up at 4 am and stayed awake until about 5:30 -- when I finally fell back asleep again. We were supposed to meet the Shin's at 8:30 for breakfast -- but given the fact that I didn't wake up until 8:20 (with a "where am I?" feeling) we finally got down there at 9. 

We started out on Via Veneto and walked to various sites in Rome -- including the Cimitero de Cappuchini, the Fontana di Tritone, the Fontana di Trevi (under repair), Chiesa di Sant'Ignzaio di Loyola,   Colona di Marco Aurelio, the Pantheon, the Basilica of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, and finally Cheese del Gesu. It was a great walking tour! Many thanks to Bishop Bruno for sharing this itinerary with us!

What I loved most was the Chiesa del Gesu, where we got to see the unveiling ceremony in the area which contains the tomb of St. Ignatius of Loyola -- beautiful! We were there right in time to see it happen (apparently 5:30 every day, or at least most days). We also were able to see most of the right forearm and hand of St. Ignatius Loyola. It is a very plain building on the outside with an incredible amount of "bling" on the inside.

A quick trip back to the hotel to fresh up and we were on our way again to dinner -- We met up with the other Bishops Suffragans and some of their spouses this evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment