Some of the gatherings before THE GATHERING happened today. After obtaining my registration name badge and binder, I decided it would be a great idea to walk the convention exhibit hall. I wasn't disappointed -- it was a great joy to see friends who are also vendors. It was informative to see the different Episcopal organizations and to hear what they are doing. I went around twice, as I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!
Late in the afternoon Integrity held a reception at which our own Bishop Mary briefly addressed the group gathered. It was a warm gathering, and I so enjoyed meeting new people and talking with people I have known over the years.
Next I headed over to the Province VIII Synod meeting. The picture above is our LA Synod delegates.
During the meeting --
1. We heard reports from the President -- Jack Easterwood and the coordinator Patricia Erskine.
2. Barbara Ross gave us an update on Education Ministries, Carmen Guerrero presented on Peace, Justice and Multicultural Ministries, and .willie Follett presented on Women's Ministries.
3. Charles Mack gave the Nominations Committee Report. By Acclamation we elected Bishop James Mathes (San Diego) as President, Barbara Ross (Oregon) as Vice President, the Rev. David Jackson (Hawaii) as Secretary, and Nancy Koonce (Idaho) as Treasurer. We then cast a ballot for clerical member for Executive Council. We then elected by acclamation the Rev. Jay Watan (California) and the Rev. Glenn Libby (Los Angeles) to the CDSP Trustees, who are actually serving currently.
4. The financials for this past Triennium and the upcoming budget were then presented by Nancy Koonce.
5. There was no election for the clergy to Executive Council, so another ballot was cast.
6. Michael Barlow was elected Executive Council from the Province.
7. Resolutions were then presented. Miller Adams, Province Chancellor, offered changes to the ordinances of the Province, which were adopted. Warren Wong then reported on West Coast Ports resolution, which passed to be sent to General Convention. Carmen Guerrero then presented a comprehensive immigration reform resolution, which passed to be sent to General Convention. Barbara Ross then presented a resolution on Mission Funding (which is being considered by all 9 Provinces), it was passed to be sent to al Convention.
8. Dianne Smith, Director of Recruitment at CDSP gave a report on CDSP and the changes they are making.
9. Mary Kate Wold, President and CEO of the Church Pension Fund addressed the gathering regarding CPF.
10. Paul Colbert presented Courtesy Resolutions, thanking various people for their work, including our own Glenn Libby for their work this past Triennium. Butch Gamarra was also thanked for his work this past Triennium with Peace and Justice as well as his work on Executive Council.
11. We thanked Jack Easterwood for his years of service as the gavel was passed to James Mathes Bishop of San Diego as the new President of Province VIII.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad